- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance.
Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or email@example.com.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction,
Sons of Norway Hall, 18891 Front St. Basics of snoa, schottish, hambo at 7 p.m.; more dancing until 9 p.m. Partners not required; donation $3. Party dance third Monday, March 16, 7 p.m., with some special young guests. Bring your dancing shoes, enthusiasm, and a treat to share. Questions: Julie (360) 394-9698; Laurel (360) 876-8907.
- Wednesdays (Burnaby, B.C.) Weekly teaching & request dancing to recorded music, Scandinavian Community Centre, 6540 Thomas St. 7:30–10 p.m., $8. Second Wednesdays are live music nights at an alternate location; see www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi for venue and details. Info: Wendy Cutler, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2/21 (Bothell) Krunsekake bake, 10 a.m.–1 p.m. $10; $5 for lodge members. Registration and payment required by Feb. 14; call (425) 385-2144. Bothell Sons of Norway, 23905 Bothell-Everett Hwy.
- 2/22 (Mount Vernon) Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave, 2–5 p.m. Live music by the
Gammel Dansk Folkdance Band of Vancouver, B.C. Info: email@example.com.
- 2/28 (Bothell) Lefse-making class, 9 a.m.–12 noon. $15; $10 for lodge members. Registration
required; call (425) 486-5275. Bothell Sons of Norway, 23905 Bothell-Everett Hwy., Bothell.
- 2/28 (Tacoma) Mountaineers Scandinavian Dance.
7–10:30 p.m. Warm your spirits with the music of TinnFelen. Learn or review Gothenburg Mazurka with Jennifer Roach at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and ML King St., Tacoma). $10; $5 for students and non-dancers. Info: (253) 759-3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3/1 (Seattle) Swedish Pancakes. Live music and dancing, plus authentic Swedish pancakes,
lingonberries, ham, and all the right fixin’s. Music by Spelmanslag, Nordiska, and Smilin’ Scandinavians. $9; club members, $7; children 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Swedish Cultural Ctr., 1920 Dexter Ave. N.
- 3/1 (Seattle) Leikarringen invites you to help us
celebrate 55 years of Norwegian dancing, music, and sharing Norwegian culture, 1–4 p.m. Leif Erikson Lodge, 2245 NW 57th St., Seattle. Kaltbord/ buffet with dessert potluck. Please RSVP at (310) 990-2274 or LeikarringenofLEL@gmail.com.
- 3/7 (Bothell) Viking Toast Breakfast, 8 a.m.–1 p.m. Viking (French) Toast, sausage, fruit, coffee, tea, and milk. $8 ($6 for 10 years and under). Proceeds benefit the Youth Camp Scholarships. Bothell Sons of Norway, 23905 Bothell Hwy. Info: (425) 485-9085 or www.bothellsonsofnorway.org.
- 3/14 (Bothell) 2015 Nordic Heritage Day, 10 a.m.– 3 p.m. Food demonstrations, samples for tasting, and craft demonstrations. Lunch available for purchase
featuring pea soup, open-faced sandwiches, Rommegrøt, and desserts. Free admission and parking.
- 3/21 (Bothell) Genealogy Workshop, 9 a.m.–3 p.m. Two sessions: Archiving Records & Internet
Resources by Gary Zimmerman of Fiske Genealogy Library and Overview of DNA Testing by Mary K Kozy. Cost: $25; $40/family. Registration required by March 14. Contact Gary Ramstad, (206) 365-6913.
- 3/21 (Vancouver, B.C.) Spring Equinox Ball. The Scandinavian Dancers of Vancouver, B.C., present our fabulous annual dinner/dance evening. KinVillage Community Centre, 5410 - 10th Ave., Tsawwassen, B.C., 6 p.m. to midnight. Preregistration is required for dinner by Monday, March 16. Download the registration form at: www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi/upcom.html.
- 3/21 (Seattle) Tastes of Norway/Norwegian Heritage and Cultural Day, Leif Erikson Lodge, 2245 NW 57th St., Seattle. Fun Run, 9 a.m. Tastes of Norway, 10 a.m.–3:30 p.m. Info: www.leiferiksonlodge.com.
- 3/22 Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave., 2–5 p.m. CD music. Info: email@example.com.
- 3/28 (Tacoma) Mountaineers Scandinavian Dance.
7–10:30 p.m. Warm your spirits with the music of TinnFelen. Learn or review Gothenburg Mazurka with Jennifer Roach at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and ML King St., Tacoma). $10; $5 for students and nondancers. Info: (253) 759-3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4/1–5/6 (Seattle) Skandia Basics class. Pat McMonagle and Pat Pi teach mazurka, trava, and hambo.
- 4/6 (Portland) Norske Runddansere’s Quarterly Hambo Fest. Learn the hambo! Warm-up, 7–7:30 p.m.; lesson, 7:30–8:30 p.m. Open dance with lots of hambos and easy mixers, 8:30–10 p.m. No partner necessary. Polish Hall, 3832 N. Interstate Ave., Portland, OR. Located on the Max Yellow Line. $4 drop-ins; under 30, free. Info: www.norskerunddansere.org.
- 4/17–20 (Seabeck, WA) Springdans Northwest will feature Finnskogspols and Slängpolska. Application at www.skandia-folkdance.org.
- 4/26 (Mt. Vernon) Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge, 1805 Cleveland Ave., 2–5 p.m. Live music. Info: email@example.com.
- 4/30–5/21 (Seattle) Skandia Beyond Basics. Jerry Walsh and Judy Patterson teach dances from Springdans, probably Finnskogspols and Slängpolska.
- 5/18 (Portland) Norske Runddansere’s 26th annual Birthday Ball. Music by Hapsala. 7:30–10 p.m., Polish Hall, 3832 N. Interstate Ave. Bring finger foods to share, folk costumes encouraged but not required. No partner necessary. Located on the Max Yellow Line. $8 for NR/Leikarringen members; $12 for nonmembers. Info: www.norskerunddansere.org.
- 5/13–6/17 (Seattle) Skandia Basics class. Larry Reinert and Barbara Budd teach.
- 6/28 (Kenmore) Skandia Midsommarfest, 11 a.m.–6 p.m., St. Edward State Park, 14445 Juanita Dr. N.E.
- 10/17 (Seattle) Skandia Ball, Latvian Center, 11710 3rd Ave. NE.
- Valdresspringar Weekend, March 20–22, Folklore Village, WI. Guest dancers: Knut Arne Jacobsen & Brit Totland. Guest fiddlers: Laura Ellestad, Loretta Kelley, Char Bostrom. Registration & info: http://folklorevillage.com/t1/calendar#Cultural%20Retreats, (608) 924-4000, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Boulder Scandinavian Dancers host Knut-Arne Jacobsen and Brit Totland, and fiddler Laura Ellestad, for our annual weekend, March 27–29.We will be enjoying the dance and music of Valdres, Norway. Contact Sheila for applications and more details: email@example.com.
- Scandi Spring Fest 2015, April 9–12, 7:30 p.m. Thursday–4 p.m. Sunday. Salt Lake City, Utah. Dance instructors: Judy Patterson and Jerry Walsh, Music instructors: Bruce Sagan and Peter Michaelsen. The weekend’s dances include: Kall Polka & Bakmes, Vågå Springleik, Polska från Malung, Polska från Orsa. Concert of Scandinavian folk music to be held April 9. Info: www.saltlakescandidance.org.
- Scandia Camp Mendocino: Join us June 13–20 and explore the richness and variety of the dance and music of Norway & Sweden. Dance and music classes at all levels. Details and application at: www.ScandiaCampMendocino.org.
Nordic Fiddles and Feet 2015: Folk music & dance of Norway & Sweden, Camp Ogontz, NH, June 28–July 5. Info: www.nordicfiddlesandfeet.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email Scandinavian events items to email@example.com, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the April issue must arrive by 10 March. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events