- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance. Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9
p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles,
WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or
Paul, (360) 457-7035 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction at
the Poulsbo Sons of Norway hall, 18891 Front St.,
Poulsbo. 7–9 p.m.; $3 per session; partners not
required. Party dance Monday, October 17, 7–9
p.m. As always, bring dance shoes, enthusiasm,
and a treat to share. On Monday, October 10,
Nordic Fiddlers Bloc will bring their high energy
and profound musicianship to workshops from 4–6
p.m., followed by a concert and dance at the Poulsbo
October events Lodge. For information on Nordic Fiddlers Bloc,
contact Jane at email@example.com. For other
questions, contact Julie at (360) 394-9698 or
Laurel at (360) 876-8907.
- Mondays (Portland) Norske Runddansere Scandinavian
Folkdance. We dance and teach couple and circle
dances and lively mixers from all five Scandinavian
countries. We meet at Scandinavian Heritage
Foundation’s Nordia House at 8800 SW Oleson
Rd., Portland, OR 97223. $4; first dance free, and
free for students; $50 for annual membership.
Everyone is welcome! Please bring separate
indoor dancing shoes. Lessons every Monday,
7:30–8:30 p.m., fall–spring. Open request dance
year-round. Info: Newgards, (503) 636-7509,
firstname.lastname@example.org, or www.norskerunddansere.org.
- Wednesdays, (Burnaby, B.C.) Scandinavian dance.
Weekly teaching & request dancing to recorded music,
September–April, with time off around Christmas.
Scandinavian Community Centre, 6540 Thomas
St., 7:30–10 p.m., $8. Second Wednesdays are live
music nights at an alternate location; see
www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi for venue and details. Info:
Judith, (604) 526-4722 or email@example.com.
- 9/24 (Lynnwood) Dances from Røros workshop with Tom Sears and Leslie Foley. Cedar Valley Grange. Classes from 10 a.m.–12 p.m. and 1:30–3:30 p.m., with 1 hour of free dancing from 3:30–4:30 p.m.
- 9/24 (Tacoma) Scandinavian Dance with Sons of Norway. 7–10:30 p.m. Music by Skandia Kapell. Learn or review waltz plus variations with Jennifer Roach at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Scandinavi- an couple dances. Circle and mixer dances re- viewed. No partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of S.15th and M L King St. Tacoma). $10 for adults. $7 for Sons of Norway Lodge #2 members ($10 for Lodge #2 couples). $5 for nondancers. Students free. Info
(253) 759-3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10/2 (Seattle) Swedish Pancake Breakfast, 8 a.m.–1 p.m.
Live music, plus dancing and authentic Swedish
pancakes, with ham and lingonberries. Guests, $9;
Blue Card Club members, $7; children ages 5–12,
$5. Stay afterward for genealogy in our lobby.
Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter Ave N.
- 10/2 (Mt. Vernon) VASA Lodge, 1805 Cleveland
Ave. Polska practice dance for the Skandia Ball,
2–5 p.m. Info: email@example.com.
- 10/8 (Seattle) Nordic Fiddlers Bloc concert, co-sponsored
by Seattle Folklore Society and Skandia. Tickets
are $16 ($2 discount for members, students and
seniors), $8 for youth. Tickets at the door, if available, $2 more. Doors open at 7 p.m. for a 7:30 start. Tickets: www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2590421.
- 10/9 (Lynnwood) Nordic Fiddlers Bloc music workshops.
Co-sponsored by SFS. Cedar Valley
Grange. Registration, 9:30 a.m. Three workshop
sessions, 10 a.m.–3:45 p.m. Single class: Skandia
and SFS members, $30; guests, $35; kids 18 and
under, $25. Full day: Skandia and SFS members,
$50; guests, $60; kids 18 and under, $40.
- 10/9 (Tacoma) Nordic Fiddlers Bloc concert and dance.
Pacific Lutheran University, 7 p.m. Tickets:
- 10/9 (Seattle) Leif Erikson Day, 5 p.m. Leif Erikson
Hall, 2245 NW 57th. Baked potato bar with all the
fixings and maybe even some pickled herring,
entertainment, music, history of the hall and Leif Erikson, fundraising silent auction, and more. $20; tickets at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2604242.
- 10/10 (Poulso) Nordic Fiddlers Bloc workshops concert,
and dance. Info: www.poulsbosonsofnorway.com.
- 10/15 (Seattle) Skandia Ball, 6–11 p.m., at the Latvian
Center, 11710 3rd Ave NE, Seattle, WA. Social
hour, 6 p.m.; dance 7–11. $20. Bring finger food to
share. Teaching during the social hour. Wear shoes
that are good for turning and that are kind to wooden
floors. Fancy dress encouraged, but not required.
- 10/22–23 (Seattle) Leif Erikson bazaar, October 22 (10
a.m.–4 p.m.); October 22, 11 a.m.–4 p.m. Leif
Erikson Lodge 2-001, Sons of Norway, 2245 NW
57th Street, Seattle WA 98107.
- 10/23 (Mt. Vernon) Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge, 1805 Cleveland Ave., 2–5 p.m.
Info: (360) 293-9210 or (360) 941-2944.
- 10/29 (Tacoma) Scandinavian Dance with Sons of
Norway, 7–10:30 p.m. (Note: special date.) Music
by Folk Voice Band. Learn or review polka at 7p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Scandinavian couple
dances. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No
partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St.
(corner of S.15th and M L King St. Tacoma).
Adults, $10; Sons of Norway Lodge #2 members, $7
($10 for Lodge #2 couples); nondancers, $5; students,
free. Info: (253) 759-3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10/29 (Vancouver, B.C.) Scandinavian Dancers of
Vancouver, BC fall dance workshop with Harry
Khamis and Roo Lester. Flyer and more info
- 10/31 (Portland) Norske Runddansere Scandinavian Folk Dance with live music by Fossegrimen. $5 listening; $8 dancing members; $12 dancing nonmembers; families=2 adult fees. 7:30–10 p.m., Nordia House, 8800 SW Oleson Rd., Portland, OR 97223. Info: www.norskerunddansere.org.
- 11/7 (Portland) Norske Runddansere hambo workshop.
7:30–10 p.m. (warm-up, 7–7:30; lesson,
7:30–8:30). Nordia House, 8800 SW Oleson Rd.,
Portland, OR 97223. $5 drop-ins; $60 pro-rated
annual membership. Focused workshop, plus practice
throughout the evening. No partner necessary,
please wear indoor, low-heeled, soft soled shoes.
- 11/24–27 Southern California Skandia Festival 2016, featuring Britt-Mari Westholm and Bengt Mård, teaching dances from Western Dalarna and elsewhere in Sweden, and Anders Almlöf and Mattias Helje, musicians and music teachers. $350. Info: Darlene.L.Martin@gmail.com or (562) 253-9282; or email@example.com or (714) 893-8888.
Email Scandinavian events items to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the November issue must arrive by 10 October. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events