in the Pacific Northwest area
- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance.
Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or email@example.com.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction, Sons of Norway hall, 18891 Front St., 7 p.m. All welcome; partners not required. Requested donation: $2 ($3 on 3rd Monday live-music party nights). Third Monday dance party this month is May 19. Don’t miss Monday, June 2, when Peter Uhrbrand and Ole Mauritzen will teach a dance workshop from 4:30 to 6 p.m. and lead the evening’s dance from 7 to 9. In between, enjoy potluck dinner and treats Info: Julie, (360) 394-9698; or Laurel, (360) 876-8907.
- 4/26 (Tacoma) Mountaineers 4th Saturday Scandinavian Dance, 6–10:30 p.m. Special “Welcome Summer” potluck at 6 p.m. Learn or practice mazurka and other dances at 7 p.m.. Music by Folk Voice Band at 8 p.m. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. No partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th & M L King St., Tacoma). $10; for students, $5. Info: (253) 759-3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or (360) 491-0704 or email@example.com
- 4/27 (Mount Vernon) Fourth Sunday dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave, 2–5 p.m. CD music. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5/4 (Seattle) Swedish Pancakes. Music and dancing, plus authentic Swedish pancakes, lingonberries, ham, and all the right fix’ins. $9 guests, $7 SCC members, children 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. As always, stay afterward for genealogy. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter N.
- 5/8–11 (Utah) Scandi Fest 2014, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Instructors are Roo Lester (dance) and Char Bostrom (fiddle). $55 per person. Sponsored by Sons of Norway Lodge 6-83. More details: (801) 703-6736 or www.SaltLakeScandiDance.org.
- 5/12 (Portland) Norsk Runddansere’s Annual Birthday Ball. Celebrating 26 years of Scandinavian folk dance! 7:30–10 p.m. Live music by fiddlers Carol Olson from Washington and Paul Johnson from Southern California. Members, $8; nonmembers, $12; member families, $16. Bring finger foods to share. Folk costumes encouraged; everyone welcome. Polish Hall, 3832 N. Interstate Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97227. Info: norskerunddansere.org.
- 5/31 (Lynnwood) Skandia Dance Workshop with Peter Uhrbrand and Ole Mauritzen, Cedar Valley Grange, 10 a.m.–12:30 p.m. $25. Info: email
- 5/31 (Lynnwood) Skandia Music Workshop with Peter Uhrbrand and Ole Mauritzen, Cedar Valley Grange, 2–4:30 p.m. $25. Info: email
- 5/31 (Shoreline) Special Skandia Dance at the LDS Meeting House, 14901 30th Ave. N.E., Shoreline, WA. Join us for a Danish celebration! Music by Peter Michaelsen and Joe Finn! Dessert & snack contributions appreciated. Dance, 7–10 p.m., $15 (Skandia members, $10); kids, free. Info: www.skandia-folkdance.org or (425) 954-5262.
- 6/2 (Poulsbo) Peter Uhrbrand and Ole Mauritzen will present a Danish dance workshop from 4:30 to 6 p.m., and lead the terpsichorean party at 7. Potluck, treats, conviviality. Donation, $5; generosity gleefully encouraged and gratefully accepted. Sons of Norway, 18891 Front St., Poulsbo.
- 6/8 (Mt. Vernon) VASA lodge Mount Vernon, 2–6 p.m. Raising the Majstang on our lawn at 2 p.m., with live music by Skandia Kapell while dancing around the pole, followed by dancing in the lodge and a potluck at 4 p.m.; then more dancing until 6 p.m. Costumes encouraged. Event is free (side dish or dessert for the potluck appreciated). Questions? (360) 293-9210 or (360) 428-0143. Directions to the lodge: From I-5, take Kincaid Rd exit (#226), go west to S. First St., turn left (at Bank of America). VASA is at 1805 Cleveland. (S. First becomes Cleveland.)
- 6/14 (Portland) Midsummer Festival, Scandinavian Heritage Foundation & League of Swedish Societies, 11 a.m.–6 p.m. Music, games, Nordic foods, vendors, beer garden. Raising of the Maypole (Majstang) and Scandinavian of the Year at 1 p.m. Oaks Park, 7805 SE Oaks Park Way, Portland, OR. $7; students (6–12), $4; families, $16. Under 6, free.
- 6/14–21 Scandia Camp Mendocino 2014. Registration for Scandia Camp Mendocino 2014 is open and we are accepting registrations. Flyer and registration at ScandiaCampMendocino.org.
- 6/20–22 (Oregon) Astoria Scandinavian Midsummer Festival at the Clatsop County Fairgrounds, with authentic Danish folk music from Ole Mouritzen and Peter M. Uhrbrand from Fanø and Norwegian music from MAAR. More info at www.astoriascanfest.org.
- 6/29 (Kenmore) Skandia Midsommarfest, St. Edward State Park, 14445 Juanita Drive NE, Kenmore, WA 98028. This day-long traditional Scandinavian celebration features music and dance performances, kids’ activities (including raising a kid-sized pole), flower crowns, craft and food booths, a special costume presentation, participatory dancing, mini-dance lessons for beginners, and of course, the traditional pole raising ceremony. FREE (donations accepted; buttons are available for a $2 donation to help defray the cost of putting on the festival). 11 a.m.–6 p.m. Info: www.skandia-folkdance.org or (425) 954-5262.
- 10/18 (Seattle) Skandia Ball.
Email Scandinavian events items to email@example.com, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the Jun issue must arrive by 10 May. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events