- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance.
Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction,
Sons of Norway Hall, 18891 Front St. Basics of hambo and schottisch taught at 7 p.m.; more
dancing 8–9 pm. Partners not required; $3 donation. Party dance the third Monday, April 20. Bring a treat to share, dance shoes, enthusiasm, and friends. Questions: Julie, (360) 394-9698; Laurel (360) 876-8907.
- Wednesdays (Burnaby, B.C.) Weekly teaching & request dancing to recorded music, Scandinavian Community Centre, 6540 Thomas St. 7:30–10 p.m., $8. Second Wednesdays are live music nights at an alternate location; see www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi for venue and details. Info: Wendy Cutler, email@example.com.
- 3/22 Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave., 2–5 p.m. CD music. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3/28 (Tacoma) Mountaineers Scandinavian Dance.
7–10:30 p.m. Warm your spirits with the music of TinnFelen. Learn or review Gothenburg Mazurka with Jennifer Roach at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and ML King St., Tacoma). $10; $5 for students and nondancers. Info: (253) 759-3731 or email@example.com.
- 4/1–5/6 (Seattle) Skandia Basics class. Pat McMonagle and Pat Pi teach mazurka, trava, and hambo.
- 4/6 (Portland) Norske Runddansere’s Quarterly Hambo Fest. Learn the hambo! Warm-up, 7–7:30 p.m.; lesson, 7:30–8:30 p.m. Open dance with lots of hambos and easy mixers, 8:30–10 p.m. No partner necessary. Polish Hall, 3832 N. Interstate Ave., Portland, OR. Located on the Max Yellow Line. $4 drop-ins; under 30, free. Info: www.norskerunddansere.org.
- 4/12 (Seattle) Swedish Pancakes. One week later than usual, due to Easter. Live music and dancing, plus authentic Swedish pancakes, lingonberries, ham, and all the right fixin’s. Music by Richard Svensson & Bjarne Jacobsen, Swedish Women’s Chorus and Sprida Ut. $9; club members, $7; children 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Swedish Cultural Ctr., 1920
Dexter Ave. N.
- 4/17–20 (Seabeck, WA) Springdans Northwest will feature Finnskogspols and Slängpolska. Application at www.skandia-folkdance.org.
- 4/26 (Mt. Vernon) Fourth Sunday Scandinavian dance at the VASA lodge, 1805 Cleveland Ave., 2–5 p.m. Live music by the Dansaspel Scandinavian Band of Bellingham. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4/25 (Tacoma) Mountaineers Scandinavian Dance. 7–10:30 p.m. Dance to the music of Nordic Exposure. Learn or review Rorospols with Larry Reinert at
7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and ML King St., Tacoma). $10; $5 for students and nondancers. Info: (253)
759-3731 or email@example.com.
- 4/30–5/21 (Seattle) Skandia Beyond Basics. Jerry Walsh and Judy Patterson teach dances from Springdans, probably Finnskogspols and Slängpolska.
- 5/18 (Portland) Norske Runddansere’s 26th annual Birthday Ball. Music by Hapsala. 7:30–10 p.m., Polish Hall, 3832 N. Interstate Ave. Bring finger foods to share, folk costumes encouraged but not required. No partner necessary. Located on the Max Yellow Line. $8 for NR/Leikarringen members; $12 for nonmembers. Info: www.norskerunddansere.org.
- 5/13–6/17 (Seattle) Skandia Basics class. Larry Reinert and Barbara Budd teach.
- 6/28 (Kenmore) Skandia Midsommarfest, 11 a.m.–6 p.m., St. Edward State Park, 14445 Juanita Dr. N.E.
- 10/17 (Seattle) Skandia Ball, Latvian Center, 11710 3rd Ave. NE.
- Scandi Spring Fest 2015, April 9–12, 7:30 p.m. Thursday–4 p.m. Sunday. Salt Lake City, Utah. Dance instructors: Judy Patterson and Jerry Walsh, Music instructors: Bruce Sagan and Peter Michaelsen. The weekend’s dances
include: Kall Polka & Bakmes, Vågå Springleik, Polska från Malung, Polska från Orsa. There will also be a concert of Scandinavian folk music to be held April 9. Info: www.saltlakescandidance.org.
- Scandia Camp Mendocino: Join us June 13–20 and
explore the richness and variety of the dance and music of Norway & Sweden. Dance and music classes at all levels. Details and application are available at: www.ScandiaCampMendocino.org.
- Nordic Fiddles and Feet 2015: Folk music & dance of Norway & Sweden, Camp Ogontz, NH, June 28–July 5. Information can be found at: www.nordicfiddlesandfeet.org or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email Scandinavian events items to email@example.com, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the May issue must arrive by 10 April. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events