- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance.
Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction,
Sons of Norway Hall, 18891 Front St. Adult classes focusing on polka, schottische, and waltz every Monday night from 7 to 8 p.m.; open
dancing from 8 to 9 p.m. Donation $3; no partner necessary. Third Monday dance party November 17 at 7 p.m.; bring your dance shoes, enthusiasm, and a treat to share. More information: Julie, (360)394-9698; Laurel, (360) 876-8907.
- Wednesdays (Burnaby, B.C.) Weekly teaching & request dancing to recorded music, Scandinavian Community Centre, 6540 Thomas St. 7:30–10 p.m., $8. Second Wednesdays are live music nights at an alternate location; see www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi for venue and details. Info: Wendy Cutler, email@example.com.
- 10/24 (Tacoma) Mountaineers Scandinavian Dance.
FRIDAY! This time only. Friday, 7–10:30 p.m.
Music by Skandia Kapell. Learn or review polka
with Laurel Stone and Don Lorimor at 7 p.m.
Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Circle and mixer dances
reviewed. No partner needed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and M L King St. Tacoma). Adults, $10; students and non-dancers, $5. Info: (253) 759- 3731 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or (360) 491- 0704, or email@example.com.
- 10/25 (Seattle) NW Danish Association Oktoberfest at
Harmony Hall, 1833 N. 105th St. $65/person if
postmarked by October 3rd; after Oct. 3rd, $75.
Music by Flemming Behrend . Info:
- 10/26 (Mount Vernon) VASA Lodge Mount Vernon,
Fourth Sunday dance, 1805 Cleveland Ave, 2–5
p.m. CD music. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10/27 (Portland) Celebrate the fall Harvest and Halloween at this special Scandinavian folk dance event! On monday Oct. 27th 7:30-10:00 pm we will have live music from EJ and the Beech Boys from Seattle (aka Peter Michaelsen and friends). This is a Portland Norske Runddansere sponsored event. Scandinavian or Halloween costumes encouraged, bring snacks to share. Fundraising fee of $12 for non-members ($8 for NR or Leikearringen members), entire family for two fees, or just listen to the fabulous folk music for $5. Conveniently located on the MAX yellow line at Polish Hall (3832 N. Interstate). For more information call 503-636-7509 or visit us at www.norskerunddansere.org
- 11/1 (Bothell) Annual bazaar, bake sale and luncheon. 9 a.m.–3 p.m. Norwegian crafts, wreaths, table arrangements, and handmade items. Nordic baked goods for sale. Lunch available for purchase. Free admission and free parking. Open to the public. Bothell Sons of Norway, 23905 Bothell-Everett Hwy.
- 11/1–2 (Seattle) Swedish Cultural Center Holiday Bazaar. Holiday shopping at its best with vendors selling hand-made and/or Nordic items. Special area to buy first-rate holiday gifts for friends and family. See www.swedishclubnw.org. 9 a.m.–4 p.m.
- 11/2 (Seattle) Swedish Pancakes. Live music and dancing, plus authentic Swedish pancakes, lingonberries, ham, and all the right fixin’s. $9; club members, $7; children 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Swedish Cultural Ctr., 1920 Dexter North, Seattle.
- 11/7–9 (SLC) Scandi Fall Fest 2014, in Salt Lake City, Utah; Friday–Sunday. Dances from Røros will be taught by Tom Sears and Leslie Foley. Music instructor: Irene Myers. Info:Gwen E. Trefts, (801) 865-4113 or www.saltlakescandidance.org/nov-6-9-fall-workshop.html.
- 11/15 (Issaquah) Christmas in Telemark—Scandinavian Holiday Festival, 10–4. Issaquah Senior Center, 75 NE Creekway, Issaquah. Scandinavian craft
bazaar, Swedish pancakes, bake sale, lefse, food, raffles, music, and activities for children; Santa Lucia and Musa Visa at 3 p.m. Free admission. www.ScandinavianFestivals.com.
- 11/22 (Tacoma) Mountaineers Scandinavian Dance. 7–10:30 p.m. Music by Folk Voice Band. Learn or review schottische variations at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and M L King St., Tacoma). $10; $5 for students and nondancers. Info: (253) 759-3731 or email@example.com, or (360) 491-0704 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 11/23 (Mount Vernon) Fourth Sunday Scandinavian Dance at the VASA lodge, 1805 Cleveland Ave., Mt. Vernon, 2–5 p.m. Live music by the Sammenspil band. Info: email@example.com
- 12/13 (Seattle) Finnish folk fiddling legends Arto and Antti Järvelä in concert, 7:30 p.m. Phinney Neighborhood Center Community Hall, 6532 Phinney Ave. N. Cousins Arto and Antti Järvelä hail from the famous Järveläs of Kaustinen—Finland’s first family of folk music! Join Arto and Antti in this Seattle Folklore Society concert as they celebrate Finnish ceremonies and dance with their fiery fiddle, guitar, and vocal harmonies. $18; $16 for SFS, PNA, Nordic Heritage Museum, Finnish Lutheran Church, and Finlandia Foundation members; youth, $9. Tickets at the door, if available, $20 and $18; youth, $9. Buy tickets through Brown Paper Tickets: finnishfolkfiddlers.brownpapertickets.com.
- 12/14 (Seattle) Finnish fiddle workshop with Arto and Antti Järvelä at Dusty Strings in Fremont. Info:
- 12/20 (Oregon) Norske Runddansere’s Snoball at the Mazama Lodge on Mt. Hood, featuring live folk music by Hale Bill and the Bops and Scandinavian folk dancing. Must pre-register. Glögg, 3:30 p.m.; dinner, 5 p.m.; live music dance, 7:30 p.m.; after-party jam, 11 p.m. to? Most people stay overnight at the lodge, but it is not required. Info: www.norskerunddansere.org or (503) 636-7509.
Email Scandinavian events items to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the December issue must arrive by 10 November. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events