- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance.
Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9
p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles,
WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or
Paul, (360) 457-7035 or email@example.com.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction,
from 7 to 9 p.m., at the Sons of Norway Hall,
18891 Front Street. If the Skandia Ball on October
17 merely whets your interest in dancing, come
with or without a partner and continue dancing at
the party dance in Poulsbo on October 19. Bring a
treat to share and your dance shoes. Questions:
Julie at (360) 394-9698 or Laurel at (360) 876-8907.
- Mondays (Portland) Norske Runddansere Scandinavian
Folkdance. First night of fall teaching season is
September 14th. We dance and teach couple and
circle dances and lively mixers from all five
Scandinavian countries. We meet at Scandinavian
Heritage Foundation’s Nordia House at 8800 SW
October events Oleson Rd, Portland, OR 97223. Regular admission
is $4; first dance free, and free for students; $50
for annual membership. Everyone is welcome!
Please bring separate indoor dancing shoes.
Lessons every Monday, 7:30–8:30 p.m., fall–spring.
Open request dance year-round. Info: Newgards,
(503) 636–7509 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wednesdays, (Burnaby, B.C.) Scandinavian dance.
Weekly teaching & request dancing to recorded
music from September through April, with time
off around Christmas. Scandinavian Community
Centre, 6540 Thomas St., 7:30–10 p.m., $8.
Second Wednesdays are live music nights at an alternate location; see ww.vcn.bc.ca/scandi for the venue and details. Info: Judith, (604) 526-4722
- 9/26 (Tacoma) Scandinavian Dance with Sons of Norway, 7–10:30 p.m. Music by Folk Voice Band. Learn or review Danish mixers with Frank Brown at 7 p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Scandinavian couple dances. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th and M L King St., Tacoma). $10; Sons of Norway (Norden 2) members, $7;
nondancers, $5; students free. Info: (253) 759-3731 or email@example.com.
- 10/1–29 (Kirkland) Skandia Basics on Thursdays in
Kirkland! Peter Kirk Center. Taught by Patrick
McMonagle and Pat Pi.
- 10/4 (Seattle) Swedish pancake breakfast. Live
music, dancing, and authentic Swedish pancakes,with ham, lingonberries, and all the fixin’s. Music
by Seattle Skandia Spelmanslag, Skandia Kapell,
and Folk Voice Band. $9; SCC members, $7;
children ages 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. Swedish
Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter Ave N.
- 10/9 Scandinavian Folkdance, 8 p.m., Swedish
Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter Ave. N., Seattle.
Band to be announced - Patrick McMonagle hosts.
Donations to band and Swedish Club accepted.
It’s a folk dance party: “A Lotta Shoe Leather
Worn Out”—Pat celebrates 50 years of folk dance,
since October of 1965.
- 10/12 (Portland) Hambo Fest with Norske
Runddansere. Learn the hambo, 7:30–8:30, then
dance Sweden’s National Dance and other easy
dances until 10 p.m. Members free; nonmembers,
$5. Please bring separate indoor dancing shoes.
Location: SHF’s Nordia House (8800 SW Oleson
Road, Portland OR 97223).
- 10/17–18 (Seattle) Leif Erikson Lodge 2-001 Bazaar.
Saturday, 10 a.m.–4 p.m.; Sunday, 11 a.m.–4 p.m.
Sons of Norway, 2245 NW 57th St. Info: (206)
783-1274, firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- 10/17 (Seattle) Skandia Ball, Latvian Center, 11710 3rd
Ave. NE. Dance lesson and social hour, 6 p.m.;
dance, 7–11 p.m.
- 10/21 Skandia Basics class taught by Don Meyers and
Kathi Ploeger, 10/21–11/19, plus 12/2 (no class
- 10/23 (Tacoma) Scandinavian Dance with Sons of
Norway, 7–10:30 p.m. NOTE: This time only, the
dance is Friday. Music by Skandia Kapelle. Learn
or review schottische with Jennifer Roach at 7
p.m. Dance, 8–10:30 p.m. Scandinavian couple
dances. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. No
partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St.
(corner of 15th and M L King St. Tacoma). $10 for
adults. $7 for Sons of Norway--Norden 2 members
($10 for couples). $5 for non-dancers. Students free.
Info: (253) 759-3731 or email@example.com.
- 10/23–25 Fall Swedish Music & Dance Weekend, featuring
Paul Dahlin and Bruce Sagan, Folklore Village,
Wisconsin. Info: www.folklorevillage.com.
- 10/26 (Portland) Norske Runddansere’s Harvest
Dance Scandinavian Folk Dance. Live music by
Hale Bill and the Bopps of Washington, 7:30–10
p.m. Festive attire encouraged, Bring snacks to share.
Members, $8; nonmembers, $12; listening only,
$5; family(2 adult fees), $16–24. Please bring separate
indoor dancing shoes. Location: SHF’s Nordia
House (8800 SW Oleson Road, Portland OR
97223). Info: www.norskerunddansere.org.
- 10/29 Skandia Beyond Basics class taught by Elaine Mathies and Pat Pi, 10/29– 11/19.
- 11/5–8 (Utah) Scandi Fall Fest 2015, Salt Lake City,
Utah. Dance instructors: Mikkel Thompson and
sister Valerie Thompson; Music instructor: John-
Anders Persson. Dances taught will include Telespringar and Bondpolska fran Vista. November 5 Thursday evening concert, Friday evening dance workshop; all-day Saturday dance and music workshops; Sunday dance and music reviews.
To register and view all the details, visit www.saltlakescandidance.org/fall-fest-2015.html.
- 11/22 VASA Mount Vernon, 4th Sunday dance.
Live music by Gammeldansk of Vancouver, B.C.,
- 1/14–2/11 2016 (Kirkland) Skandia Basics on Thursdays
- 2/25–3/24 2016 (Kirkland) Skandia Basics on Thursdays
- 2/5–6, 2016 (Lynnwood) Vinterdans, Cedar Valley
Grange. Details TBA.
- 5/13–16, 2016 Springdans Northwest. (Change of date
for 2016 only.)
Email Scandinavian events items to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the November issue must arrive by 10 October. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events