in the Pacific Northwest area
- Sundays (Port Angeles) Regular Sunday dance.
Scandinavian and ballroom dancing Sundays, 7–9 p.m. Scandia Hall at 131 W 5th St., Port Angeles, WA. Donations taken at the door. Info: Sandy or Paul, (360) 457-7035 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mondays (Poulsbo) Scandinavian dance instruction, Sons of Norway hall, 18891 Front St., 7 p.m. All welcome; partners not required. Requested donation: $2 ($3 on 3rd-Monday live-music party nights). For March only, the third Monday will be regular class instruction. The usual third Monday live-music party will be held on the fourth Monday. We can all be honorary Irish on Monday, March 17, and honorary Norwegians on March 24. Info: Julie, (360) 394-9698; or Laurel, (360) 876-8907.
- Wednesdays (Burnaby, B.C.). The Scandinavian Dancers of Vancouver, B.C., present relaxed and friendly folk dance evenings every Wednesday, open to everyone, at 7:30 p.m., at the Scandinavian Community Centre. Drop-in fee is $8. For more info, contact Judith (604) 526-4722 or email@example.com. Please visit our website: www.vcn.bc.ca/scandi/.
- 3/21–23 (Folklore Village, WI) Spring Swedish Music and Dance Weekend. See registration brochure at: www.folklorevillage.org.
- 3/22 (Vancouver, B.C.) Spring Equinox Ball. The Scandinavian Dancers of Vancouver, BC invite you to our event of the year. Great catered dinner, followed by dancing to music by local bands Sammenspil and Gammel Dansk, and featuring guest musician Kristian Bugge from Denmark. Dinner and dance $46 (to be confirmed). Contact Riitta at firstname.lastname@example.org for information and billeting. At the KinVillage Recreation center at 5410-10th Ave in Tsawwassen. Pre-registration for dinner is required by Monday, March 17. There will be a flyer/registration form in February.
- 3/23 (Mount Vernon) Fourth Sunday dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave, 2–5 p.m. CD music. Info: email@example.com.
- 3/28 (Seattle) Folkdance at the Swedish Cultural Center. Skandia Kapell presents the live music for your folkdancing delight, 8 p.m. to 10:30. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter North, Seattle 98109. Cost: $10 (less for Swedish Cultural Center members). No partner required. No experience required either, so we do recommend shoes that protect your toes. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4/6 (Seattle) Swedish Pancakes. Music and dancing, plus authentic Swedish pancakes, lingonberries, ham, and all the right fix’ins. $9 guests, $7 SCC members, children 5–12, $5. 8 a.m.–1:30 p.m. As always, stay afterward for genealogy. Swedish Cultural Center, 1920 Dexter N.
- 4/4 (Lynnwood) The Skandia First Friday dance will be the St. Urho dance at Cedar Valley Grange. Finnish dances taught at 7:30; dance, 8:30–11. Wear green and purple, and come prepared to have fun!
- 4/12 (Bothell) Norwegian Genealogy Workshop, Bothell Sons of Norway, 23905 Bothell Everett Highway, Bothell WA, 9 a.m.–4 p.m. with Jan Sjovik, Professor and Department Chair in Scandinavian Studies at the University of Washington. The main focus will be on how to research and read the Norwegian probate records. These provide a wealth of information on the deceased. Bring a sack lunch and your laptop (not required). Cost: $25, or $40 for a family. Info: Selma Snaring at (425) 385-2144 or Gary Ramstad at (206) 365-6913.Register before April 5, 2014. Forms are available at www.bothellsonsofnorway.org.
- 4/26 (Tacoma) Mountaineers 4th Saturday Scandinavian Dance, 6–10:30 p.m. Special “Welcome Summer” potluck at 6 p.m. Learn or practice mazurka and other dances at 7 p.m.. Music by Folk Voice Band at 8 p.m. Circle and mixer dances reviewed. Non-Mountaineers welcome. No partner needed. Normanna Hall, 1106 S. 15th St. (corner of 15th & M L King St., Tacoma). $10; for students, $5. Info: (253) 759-3731 or email@example.com, or (360) 491-0704 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 4/27 (Mount Vernon) Fourth Sunday dance at the VASA lodge in Mount Vernon, 1805 Cleveland Ave, 2–5 p.m. CD music. Info: email@example.com.
- 5/8–11 (Utah) Scandi Fest 2014, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Instructors are Roo Lester (dance) and Char Bostrom (fiddle). $55 per person. Sponsored by Sons of Norway Lodge 6-83. More details: (801) 703-6736 or www.SaltLakeScandiDance.org.
- 6/8 (Mt. Vernon) VASA lodge Mount Vernon, 2–6 p.m. Midsommarfest with pole raising, live music, dancing. Watch for more info in the next Skandia newsletter.
- 6/14–21 Scandia Camp Mendocino 2014. Registration for Scandia Camp Mendocino 2014 is open and we are accepting registrations. Flyer and registration at ScandiaCampMendocino.org.
- 6/20–22 (Oregon) Astoria Scandinavian Midsummer Festival at the Clatsop County Fairgrounds, with authentic Danish folk music from Ole Mouritzen and Peter M. Uhrbrand from Fanø and Norwegian music from MAAR. More info at www.astoriascanfest.org.
- 6/29 (Kenmore) Skandia Midsommarfest, St. Edward State Park, Kenmore, WA, 11 a.m.–6 p.m.
- 10/18 (Seattle) Skandia Ball.
Email Scandinavian events items to firstname.lastname@example.org, or send by surface mail (typed only ) to Kathy D. Bruni, Skandia Newsletter, 14805 NE 177th St., Woodinville, WA 98072-6223. Items for the May issue must arrive by 10 April. Please include date, time, cost, location, contact phone number, and/or email address. For changes or updates to web site items please email the Skandia Webmaster. Priority is given to local Scandinavian dance and music events